Monday, February 13, 2012

Fiddlin' Around in a Band

YEEEEEEEEE- HAW!
Mountain River Ranch
You might be thinking, "Hmmmm, is this a musical number for a church party?"
And I say, "NO SIREE! I joined a bluegrass band!"

THIS WAS ANOTHER ITEM ON MY BUCKET LIST, and BY GOLLY I DID IT!
I was more excited than a jumping bean on a counter top. Uhhh, anyway, you get my point?

Throughout the winter season, I had the privilege of playing on this little stage with my bluegrass band at Mountain River Ranch. This is the most fun I've had at a job in my entire life. Now I know what it feels like to get paid doing something you absolutely love. Heck, how could I even call this work?

I got to sing, fiddle around, (haha, get it?) make people smile, bring in the Christmas spirit, tell jokes and act on stage, serve people food, watch people get over-enthused over jingle bells because of the beer, and have fun!
Oh, and a little seducing.
HAHAAHHAAHHAHAA I know that's what it looks like, but pictures can be taken TOTALLY the wrong way. Proof being in this picture. So let me explain,

Since we were the entertainment of the show, we had to tailor all the songs we picked to our various audience members. This particular song, "Santa Baby" was for the ADULTS, (I know what you were thinking... you were thinking I was going to say the men. No. Wrongo.) We definitely made some men's night though.

Especially when I pulled Ethan on stage for a little Santa Baby. . . then the song was completely directed at him, not the crowd :)

HAPPY 4 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SURPRISE SANTA BABE!
Ethan came to watch me on Dec 14th, 2011 and he had NO CLUE what was in store for him. It caught him completely by surprise. Here was the dialogue:
Nick: "JP, what's on your Christmas list?"
JP: "Pshhhhh. Christmas list? I don't have one. I never get what I want."
Nick: "Oh. Well, do you have a Christmas list Ashley?"
Ashley: "Oh yes I do."
Nick: "What's on it?"
Ashley: "Ooooo lots of good stuff this year. (I list off some things) But actually, there is someone in this room that is on my Christmas list."
Nick: "Wait.... someONE? In this room?"
Ashley: "Yep, and he's sitting right over there...come on up here Santa Baby!" Gimme some suga! (hahaha, no I didn't really say that last part.)

I pointed right at Ethan, as Julie placed a Santa hat on his head behind him. He instantly got a huge smile on his face and started making his way up to the stage while I grabbed my boa. As I was singing, I seriously forgot about the whole crowd. I was just thinking about Ethan and laughing in my head at what I was doing to him right then. He was dying :) He even stole a kiss from me in the middle of the song. (The poor people who didn't know he was my husband probably thought I was a little risk-ay if you know what I mean?)

I had never done anything public like this to Ethan before, so I was actually a little embarrassed by it, but we got it all on tape for future posterity HA! Now that I've watched the playback, when I thought it was all romantic and gushy, it really wasn't . . .it was quite silly looking, but oh well! I was looking forward to that surprise for weeks! If you know anything about Ethan, it's almost impossible to surprise him or keep a secret from him because he always finds out.

Not this time honey bunches! I got you sooo GOOD! And you know it.
THE BAND:
Nick Veil, Me, JP Manning

I came to appreciate the musical talent these boys have as we had many jam sessions together preparing for the shows. There were many long nights, lots of calluses built up, but it was all so totally worth it. I'm so grateful that Nick approached me and asked me if I wanted to fiddle. I've wanted to learn how my entire life. Now, I'm not amazing at it, but I know the basics and am good at making stuff up hee-hee. This was the funnest thing I've done in a long time. I hope this won't be the last time I play in a band.
These two fine folks, Julie & Mike Anglesy, were my bosses, and they were so fun to work with. They treated the musicians very well and we got to eat the most delicious leftovers every night after cleanup. If any of you have never been to the Mountain River Ranch, you NEED TO. It's such a fun place to take the family and enjoy the summer months outdoors, or the winter months indoors with all the Christmas cheer. It is a great getaway for a date or celebration.

I also owe thanks to Ethan. It made my heart flutter when Ethan anxiously told me I needed to do this. He got so excited at the fact that I would be in a band, he could not stop talking about it. It was so cute to see and it made me feel really important. He agreed that he would watch Wyatt for me so I could do this. I couldn't have done it without him too. Thanks sweetheart, for helping me check off another event on my bucket list.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nick vail is one talented guy (i grew up with him). way to be bold and try something so fun and new!