Wednesday, May 16, 2012

It was SO worth it!


I DID IT. 

I am a graduate from Brigham Young University--Idaho.

My goal was to graduate with a 3.5 or above--I graduated with a GPA of 3.65

It took me 4 1/2 years to get a Bachelor's degree in Health Education.

I have an English Education minor . . . why did I do that? I am a horrible speller.

I had ACL surgery during one semester and somehow managed to get around with books and crutches.

I met an incredibly handsome young man and somehow juggled dating and homework for a year!

I played 4 seasons of competitive sports and was nominated as MVP in the summer of 2007.

I traveled all across Europe for a month with my boyfriend . . . then got proposed to in Austria!

I was a waitress for two out of the four years and somehow fit homework and social life in there too.

After a month of studying every day, I triumphantly passed both my PRAXIS tests to become a student teacher.

I am certified in CPR and Wilderness First Aide, thanks to my major.

I threw up every day before class & took naps on the floors of buildings when I was pregnant.
I memorized EVERY SINGLE TINY BONE OF THE SKELETAL SYSTEM and got an A on the test!

Throughout these four years, I've had over 5 tutors. One veeeeeeeeeeery interesting tutor...

I served as RS 1st and 2nd counselor, ward choir director, stake choir director, music coordinator, RS pianist, RS committee leader and more during school.

I gave birth to a beautiful but premature baby, Wyatt, during the week of midterms.

I had my 2nd ACL surgery while taking care of a 3 month old infant at the same time.

I helped wash windows in between classes (while pregnant) to help make money for our family.

The hardest of all: I endured 3 months of student teaching ALL DAY. I did not get more than 5 hrs. of sleep at night. I did not see my husband or child all day. I was on my feet from 8-3:00 teaching 7th graders and planning lessons... then came home and found some scratch of energy to give to my son. I often still made dinner when I got home, then gave Wyatt a bath and put him to bed because I wanted to-it was the only time I had with him. Then I would spend hours preparing for the next day while also trying to be a good wife and spend time with my hubby. Toward the end I also joined the bluegrass band and had to fit practicing for 2 hours in there on some nights, and I was stake choir director and had to do a bunch of stuff on Sundays etc...

Sometimes, I wanted to give up.

But I didn't. 

This is one of the best things I've ever done. I am so glad I didn't give up.

I'm proud to say that I did it.
"I DID IT!"

7 comments:

Beth Willmore said...

So proud of you! What an accomplishment and I always tell myself about my degree, "even if I am always a stay at home mom, my education is something that no one can take away from me!"

Good job!

gelly said...

So awesome Andy! Definitely something to be proud of, and a great example to your children about the importance of getting an education.

JeNnA said...

Yay for a post! You are truly amazing Ashley! You better be proud of yourself, I sure am proud of ya! Anyone that can do it. Love ya

Unknown said...

congrats! thats a milestone to be proud of and one you will remember and miss for a lifetime! good luck with life post-graduation.

Liz Jensen said...

You're amazing Ashley! Seriously what a huge accomplishment and such a blessing for you and your family. Proud of you!

Jaxon said...

Good job Ash! Love you!

Chans Fam said...

Holy cow girl, you rocked it! I always knew you were a go getter, but seeing all your accomplishments all in one place is truly inspiring! You are one determined, hardworking, and truly faithful gal! WAY TO GO!