Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Terrific Two's!

Let me tell you about "this guy"
Wyatt turned 2 this past September and has finally started to grow some hair.
People say, "Oh no, it's the terrible two's!" but I think it's the "terrific two's!"

Wyatt is so fun to have around; he really is my little friend.

Here's what I've learned about my little friend thus far:

WYATT LOVES . . .
*Cookie Monster, Mickey Mouse, NEMO, Buzz/Woody/Jessie, Chipmunks, Grinch, watching "shows", drawing with markers, shaving with Daddy, brushing his own teeth, running errands, hammers, cowboy boots, SWINGS, playing at the park, riding in the wagon, pulling flowers out of the ground, reading books, singing songs, clapping, marching, getting chased by the remote control car, drawing w/ chalk, chasing Daddy's truck, wearing his "aqua shoes," fake toy foods, pretend cooking, finding sticks, climbing up hills, playing in the mud, climbing on Daddy and MUCH MORE!

Wyatt's favorite foods:
*Applesauce "appulsauce"
*Broccoli "Brockee"
*Oatmeal "oatmeaaa"
*Edamame "beans"
*Strawberries "BB's"
*Bananas "mi-mi's" (I still don't understand where he got that?)
*Grapes "Brrrrapes"
*Noodles "noo-nees"
*Toast "toast"
*Pretzels w/ PB "petzul butta"
*Fruit Snacks "Foonack"
*Chocolate Milk "Choc-mulk"
*WHITE CANDY LIFESAVER MINTS (Oh my gosh! He is obsessed with these.)
*Popcorn "paw-kern"

*He loves dipping his foods into any kind of sauce (yogurt, hummus, ketchup, syrup etc.)
*He must have "BIG" pieces (whole banana, 1/2 an apple, whole toast, entire chip)
*He wakes up every morning and wants oatmeal with berries on top :) Lovin' it
*He and I eat treats sitting down together and he thinks he's special- like popcorn outside, or Edamame's on the bar stool, or fruit snacks on my run in the morning.

"These are a few of his favorite things . . ."
*Pulling all the lids off of markers and lining them up perfectly or putting them on his fingers.
*Tracing his hand on paper.
*Telling Daddy what he did with Mommy during the day.
*Pulling off stickers and putting them everywhere.
*Pretend pooping with Mommy on the pot.
*Climbing on top of Daddy and jumping on his head.
*Going to the "Poo" which means, the pool.
*Singing along to the Disney Sing Along Songs.
*Getting the mail at night with Daddy and his flashlight.
*Searching for golf balls outside.
*Drawing chalk on people's faces.
*Running to the door to scare Daddy as soon as he hears the garage door open.
*Carrying books one at a time from his bed to a different location.
*Performing karate moves to the Kung Fu Panda theme song.
*Putting shaving cream on his face while Daddy shaves.

*NEW favorite SHOWS: Tangled, Disney Sing Alongs, Nephi, & Letter Factory

*BOOKS*
"It's Potty Time"
"Llama, Llama, Red Pajama"
"I Am a Rainbow"
"I Love You, Stinky Face"
"Nutra Fruit Heroes" (Thank you, health teacher :)
"Wally the Whale"
"Snow White" (Mostly because of the "Hi-Ho" song)
"I Love to Laugh!"
"The Mine-O-Saur"

*Favorite SONGS*
"Hi-Ho" from Snow White
"Rio" (the Rio movie theme song)
"BINGO" from Disney Sing Alongs
"Horsey Song" from Disney Sing Alongs
"Following the Leader" from Peter Pan
"Mickey Mouse March"
"Dynamite" by Taio Cruz (yes, he knows almost all the words)
"Clean Up" from Barney
"I love Wyatt, he loves me, he loves Daddy, yessireee...."
"Popcorn Popping"
"Edelweiss"

Wyatt's birthday was very simple--it was all I could do this year. Student teaching was consuming my time and I had barely enough time to relax for 2 hours and celebrate with family.

My greatest desire, being Wyatt's Mom, was to make him a birthday cake. Honestly, that's all I wanted to do for him. I felt like I would be a good Mommy if I could just take the time to at least make him a cake for his second birthday. I kept seeing so many Mom's making these gloriously themed birthday cakes with cool frosting and action figures on top etc... It looked so cool and so fun. I felt like that's what I was supposed to do for my son. After all, he only turns 2 once and when he looks at pictures in the future, he's going to want to see a big, cool birthday cake that his Mom made for him. This was my expectation. I tried so hard to do it.

I called a friend and asked how to make an ice-cream cake. I felt like this would be high tech for me, but not too crazy and expensive (we couldn't afford to go buy a store bought cake either). I tried to bake the night before, I tried to get all the ingredients, I tried to get things ready for my son's birthday and by the time I got home from doing my student teaching that day . . . I came home terrified. I had no birthday cake ready for my son. I couldn't even make a simple, stupid CAKE! I am a horrible Mother. What kind of a Mom can't take the time to do this?

All these thoughts kept going through my head as I frantically tried to whip up a devil's food cake mix. Tears were streaming down my face. I felt like I had failed. I felt pathetic that I couldn't even do this. This is all I wanted to do to prove to MYSELF that I was a good Mother. Of course, Ethan didn't understand these feelings and couldn't understand why I was crying over a cake; no husband would understand I presume. I felt worthless and that my priorities weren't straight.

Then came Wyatt around the corner . . . eyes sparkling, teeth shining, mouth grinning from ear to ear as he yelled, "Ma-ma!" with the most excited look on his face. He ran into my arms and gave me a hug. Nothing could explain this moment. He did not know it was his birthday. He did not know I was crying about his cake. To him, nothing was wrong, nothing was different. He did not see me as a failure-- he saw me as his Mommy--his happiness.

More tender tears streamed down my face as I hugged him tight and stared into his happy face. His eyes pierced my soul and filled me with an overwhelming love that I cannot explain. My incapable thoughts of being a good Mommy vanished and all I could feel was love. The cake didn't matter anymore.

My boy gave me a new perspective that day--one I hope I never lose.

I still managed to finish a simple devils's food cake mix and he didn't know any different....

*Favorite Sayings/Phrases*
"Noooooo!"
"Draw, draw, pink?"
"Getchu-me!" (Get you me? Like I'm going to get you)
"Back, back." (I'll be right back) He puts his hand up like stop.
"Watch show?"
"Pay friends?"
"Tiss dis" (kiss this)
"Green beans go!" (Green means go)
"Me fall down."
"Watch, me, now. Otay?"
"Momma.......dat sound......?" (When he hears something strange)
"2 more minutes, otay?"
"Run! Mama! Run!" (As he encourages me when I go running)

Wyatt brings nothing but surprises each day and reminds us of what a privilege it is to be parents of an easy going, innocent, loving child. It's the little things in life that really matter.

I've realized that I care less and less about the mess, and more and more about what life is for.

11 comments:

The French Way said...

YAY! You're are alive!!! Wyatt is so cute and wished we lived closer to each other! Happy belated 2nd birthday :)

Wendy said...

You are such a great Momma! Keep up the good work! We miss you up here!

JeNnA said...

AWW I loved this post about your cute man and all the cute little things that he says! it sounds like you go running with him.... in the mornings? While he is in the stroller?? So fun! I wanna hear about the move! And Ashley... he is WAY cute! And we all feel like failures more than once but we have our cute kids to make us realize that we are the BEST! I love that he came to you at the right time when you were making his cake!

Ashley said...

What the heck is pretend pooping with mom on the pot? hahaha Oh my.

But, your little guy is adorable, it looks like you two have such fun together. Keep the updates coming. And thanks for your sweet message on facebook. Love ya girl.

Chans Fam said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about having your mind set on one silly thing you want to make happen for your child, and then not being able to accomplish it. Makes you feel like such a loser. And your right, men just don't understand our weird mommy expectations we place on ourselves, and thats ok that they don't. The hubs usually helps me see reality but joking and making me laugh instead of cry. What a tender experiences you had with little Wyatt. I think kids teach us so much more than we can teach them most of the time. Its always easier for me to look back on one of those moments and realize that those things I didn't do don't even matter! I loved your post. Thanks! Miss you lots!

gelly said...

Beautiful post! Kids are so great--so much love in their hearts for their mommy's and daddy's. He's adorable Andy!

Jessica said...

awww!

I wuv him! and you, of course. I hope we get to come see you in April! I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like success! Way to be great mom & friend to Wyatt.

Team Allen said...

I loved this post!! Everything I read I can just hear your voice in my head talking about it, so I love your blog for that reason-it sounds just like you!! Even with the whole pretend pooping on the pot w mommy phrase! He is sooo cute and it looks like you guys have so much fun! Congrats on the student teaching you will be so happy to be done!! I want to take Shawn to the mountain river ranch so he can see how EXTRA wonderful Idaho can be, and I wanna hear you play! Glad all is well, Love ya!

Jill said...

So glad you still blog once in awhile!!! I keep staring at my own blog and realize I have nothing to talk about with everyone moved away! You are a terrific mother and I love to read about all your adventures. Blog less but more often...so we can enjoy the ride along with you. Love you guys and miss you!

T said...

that was really fun to read. Thanks for sharing. It's sad now that we don't get to see wyatt that often:(