Monday, August 9, 2010

Elder Bednar . . . 20 feet away

I don't really know if camera's were allowed, but I made sure to turn off the flash and cover the little red light that comes on before I took the picture. Don't worry, he had no idea.

Anyway, I had the wonderful opportunity of attending the BYU-Idaho devotional for Education week and the greatest part about it was hearing Elder Bednar speak; he is one of my favorites. The second greatest thing is that I got to SING in a combined choir for the musical number at the meeting! We sang, "I Need Thee Every Hour," which happened to be one of his favorite songs. Aaahhh, even better. I was told that Elder Bednar loves things to be plain and simple, (good thing because the choir I sang with was pretty anorexic if you know what I mean? Not many people participated and some of us barely knew how to sing).

Perhaps that is why it was so special. Perhaps that is why Elder Bednar wiped a few tears from his eyes after we sang. Maybe this experience was to be a lesson to all who participated in the music and more . . . To sing hymns to the Lord, you do not have to be professional and knowledgeable in every aspect of music. You do not have to be uniformly dressed and part of a specific group. You do not have to have a name. You do not have to have years under your belt. The Lord loves all and any who are willing to sing praises unto Him. Singing is a special way of saying a prayer to God and sometimes a more beautiful way. I love to sing and make music.

D&C 136:28

"If thou art merry, praise the Lord with singing, with music, with dancing,
and with a prayer of praise and Thanksgiving."

The spirit surrounded me as we sang and I felt so happy. I am so glad that I CHOSE to be part of that little choir. I didn't have to, but the opportunity was given to those in my stake and I jumped on it! These kind if opportunities aren't always so easily acceptable and available.

Last but not least, I waited in the forever long line, waiting and anticipating when it was my turn to shake his hand. All of these comments and thoughts were running through my head and I naturally just wanted to give him a hug (the guards made sure to keep saying, " No hugs. Only hand shakes, and NO questions." haha I guess it was for a good reason.) as I inched my way closer and closer, a strange feeling came over me. I can't explain it. Along with a forceful gust of the spirit came a calming and plain feeling inside me that made me realize that yes, he indeed is a man of God, but he is also a normal human being like you and me.

We all have the potential to be something or someone great in this life.

3 comments:

gelly said...

Very cool! Glad you were able to do that--you have a beautiful voice!

Brian and Kayla said...

Great post! I love what you said about singing.

The French Way said...

Oh my gosh how stinkin amazing! Everytime I'm in the presence of an apostle I just instantly start tearing up. What a great experience! Thanks for sharing sis!

Han