Saturday, May 26, 2012

Being a 20 yr. old four times

What a fun privilege to be 20, four times.
This is how I like to look at it. I'm as energetic as ever. I still need excitement & thrills. I still do dumb things, but yet, I'm maturing at the same time. I find joy with my family. I love being a Mom. I still overcook the simplest meals. People still think I'm 2 years older than I really am. I crave playing sports. I continue to say weird things that are totally off the wall. I enjoy sweating.... when I work out, of course. I love dancing to music in my room etc. . .

I AM, 24.    

I have to give my husband props this year because he seriously ROCKED my birthday.

All the possible things that can make me happy . . . were mine for my celebration:

#1- Doing something I've never done before. Check
#2- Spending time outside. Check
#3- Taking lots of pictures of my special day. Check
#4- Wearing comfy clothes. Check
#5- ADVENTURE! Check.
#6- Doing something potentially dangerous & harmful, yet exciting. Check
#7- Babysitting for Wyatt all taken care of. Check
#8- A nice night out with my hot husband. Check
#9- Delicious food that I don't have to make. Check
#10- Live concert full of great music. Check
#11- Meeting someone famous (that is a good person worth meeting) Check
#12- A gift I actually want. Check
#13- Being surprised. Check
#14- Bouquet of flowers. Check
#15- Slideshow of pictures. Check
#16- Spending time with family. Check
#17- Laughter. Check
#18- Day full of happiness. Check 

This was the beginning of my adventurous birthday. Thanks to Ethan and his work, I was privileged to participate in an entire day full of FUN doing as many things in 10 hrs as possible. (A HUGE thank you to all the ladies who watched Wyatt for us during the day so I could do this-- so awesome.)
It's nice to see that I haven't lost all my muscle due to being 20, four times :-)   I got all geared up and dressed in a harness for my activities. We started out with hiking and using a compass. We had to work as a group and figure out where our destination was- way fun. Then, we had to rock climb to get to higher ground.
Repelling down a mountain anyone?
These pictures seriously show how absolutely HAPPY I was this entire day. This is not a smile that had to be created with my lips and forced out for a picture. This is a smile of pure happiness. Honestly, at this moment I was somewhat terrified because it was 100 ft. down and I was just falling off of it, but I was still so happy. What a thrill! Next time I'll go for a 300 ft. cliff I think.

Again, I'm totally ecstatic. Perhaps a little cheesy? Well, I couldn't help it. Riding on one of the longest zip lines (700ft.) over a canyon of death (I added that in for affect) produces such a face. I really did go over a canyon.
Wooooooooooooooooooooo! You can't see it, but it was raining :)
By this time it was lunchtime, so we enjoyed a homemade meal on the rocks. We had been going for a few hours already. For most people (they were older- like being 40, 4 or 5 times :) they were tired and done for the day, but for 5 of us, we wanted MORE. Oh, and the five of us being me, and four other men. That's how I roll.

SOLTIS had sweet mountain bikes ready for us at the top of the hill. The good part was, we didn't have to ride up all the hills. We just started at the top and got to do the fun part of the riding- downhill.

I'm sure these men I was with were thinking, "Oh great, we've got a girl in our group... we're going to be waiting on her." Hee, hee, hee, little do they know right? Don't worry, I was at the front of the pack and I most definitely did NOT slow anybody down :)  St. George is known for its awesome bike trails that are EVERYWHERE and the one we went on didn't disappoint. It's called, "The Loop" and there are 3 levels/trails of difficulty that you can choose from. My innards were telling me to take on the difficulty, but my heart and smarts (since my life is much more important now that I'm a wife and mother) convinced me to be smart and take it easy.

I have never done full out, real mountain biking before, and WOAH BABY it was intense! This was my #6 on the list up above. I was clenching my handles so hard as I cruised over rocks and bumps and peddled hard up steep hills. I went through sand, I squeezed between large rocks, I had to turn almost 80 degree angles sometimes while going fast down the hills. I admit, one turn got the best of me. I was scared going down one part and the nerves won me over. I fell off the side of the cliff while trying to turn in the right direction. It was a tough spot with a stupid rut, and I hit it. Luckily, when I toppled over, there was a small sand pit that I landed in so I didn't fall completely off the little cliff and CRASH at the very bottom. That would have been bad. I scraped up my hand pretty dang good and it was pounding with pain, my knees had blood, but I shot right back up as soon as I fell down. I wasn't going to sit down and moan, I wanted these guys to know that I was tough. Two were watching above me and when they saw my orange helmet pop up they were relieved. I made sure to warn them and yelled up to them, "DON'T GO TOO SLOW!" They had a great laugh and so did I as a mounted my bike and headed down the steep hill again. This time, a little more scared than before.

The trail lasted about 45min but at the end, we all wanted more. We almost drove all the way back up so we could come down again but decided we needed to get cleaned up for the nice dinner that night. I went home and showered, got all dressed up, cleaned my wounds, and drove with Ethan down to a golf resort where we enjoyed a delicious meal together in a fancy building. 
Ethan and I had a wonderful night together talking with guests and enjoying the food. After dessert, we got a private concert with Jenny Oaks Baker.
This is her latest CD that she recorded and I am trying to spread the word and let everyone know how BEAUTIFUL and fun this CD is. It received a Grammy award nomination this year and almost won, it is THAT good.   
Anyone who loves Disney or has children, GET THIS CD.

The cool part is, all of songs were arranged by this guy...

KURT BESTOR
Kurt is AMAZING at making music and his talents are exhibited in this CD, as well as Jenny Oaks Baker.
Why should you buy this CD?
#1- They are Disney songs, which are classic, but there are no words to the songs. Perfect for singing along or just peaceful music around the house.

#2- These tunes are perfect for children and bedtime. (It's classical music which is very good for children to listen to.)

#3- You get to enjoy these arrangements that are very different than on the Disney movies which makes you anticipate what you're listening to. "Aladdin" is arranged as a tango! :)

#4- You will be supporting a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints who uses her talents to uplift others through good music, and a very talented and incredible music artist, Kurt Bestor who has done lots of music for the church and the world.

#5- The cost of a CD is well worth it. You won't be disappointed.
I'm always inspired by good people who use their talents to uplift others and bring happiness into the world. I am also amazed at professional violinists who can create such beautiful sounds with their violins. It makes me want to pull mine out more and play! She was incredible to listen to.
Ethan bought the CD for me and secretly got her to sign it inside, "Happy Birthday Ashley!" When I opened it I was thrilled :) After the dinner I got to pick up my happy little boy and took him home and fell asleep with him on the floor. It was an incredible day.

Ethan, you really did good honey bunches. THAT is how I like to celebrate my birth! Props to you this year lover boy.

Thanks to SOLTIS, the babysitters, and everyone else who called me and wished me Happy Birthday!

(This was all done on the 27th of April, so technically not on my birthday, but it was all FOR my b-day. I was actually in Rexburg at my parents house for my birthday while Ethan was still in St. George finishing his internship for the last week. Eth sent me flowers for my birthday, so even though we were apart, he still thought of me and surprised me with something. Later that day, he made me a slideshow of all the pictures of the adventures on my birthday and the stuff we did together as a family while in St. George. He really worked hard for this birthday and made me feel special.)


UPDATE ON OHIO COMING NEXT!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

that is ONE AMAZING birthday! you are one lucky girl!

Maddie and Tanner Stevens said...

awwwww cute eth!!! sounds like you had a ball ash!

JeNnA said...

I flipping love this post. And i love how spoiled you got... which should absolutely not be any other way, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the effort and surprises that you got all done by your husband. Sigh... what a good man you got! Also... of course the pictures are amazing and I just love ya to death!

Baker Family said...

So glad you got to have such a fun day!!!! You deserved it and I love how you love to have fun and be so adventurous! Miss you....